Tuesday, August 16, 2005

teaching

Last Friday, I reached Malaysia and today I found myself a teacher in a secondary school. Yesterday, I walk-in to a ulu school and ask for job. Actually, i wanted to teach science subject ( where I am good at it), but the school keep insist me to teach English because they really lack of English teacher. Me? English? my english is not that good after all. How can I teach? the school doesnt even border to look at my documents or sijil and assure that I will be teaching well. ?? !!!???

Okay, I give a try.

Today 7.30am, I enter a form 4 class. It is a last class and those students are abit rebellious and rowdy( not all). 100%boys. And guess what?, they can't even understand simple english. And more, they doesnt have any interest in learning. Knowing that my "disability", I tell myself not to smile and be serious. I try to be fierce and try to be fussy on petty petty things. I taught them how to greet me properly and cant tolerate disrespectfulness. (not me at all!!! i got a hard time acting it out!). I want them to greet me this when i enter the class:

Good morning, Mr Chan! We are so pleased to meet you! I want to learn English!

and

Thank You, Mr Chan!, We are looking forward to see you again!

I make them greet me over and over again until i am satisfy.
okay, me the dictator, says LK. haha

actually, I am timid too.. hehe but I am not afraid from being fired:
1) the students actually enjoys it, they love the minitary style method. I didnt humilate anyone.
2) this class, most teacher have given up on them. I ask a senior teacher for suggestion how to help those student, they reply : If you just can control the class, then you should be proud.

But i believe it is more than that. It is not just controling the class but to help them to at least be literate.

It is really interesting to be a teacher. Especially, when you see tru the eyes of your students. You never know what is their future.

ps: gimme idea how to teach english better.

2 comments:

jomama said...

English comic books, if you can
get them.

The idea just occurred to me and I
don't know if it will work.

Trouble is, I don't know if you
can get that many comic books.

If not, find an English text book
with lots of pictures.

BlurChu? said...

ah...

you're teaching English! cool! note from me: use newspaper to teach English. The Star or New Straits Times have info to teach students, and proves to be very, very helpful!

i've recently done an assignment on "The Perception of Malaysian Youths towards English" for one of my subjects.

plus, encourage them to read and converse in English as often as possible!

God Bless!


BC?